Depending on what the IRS claims is missing or has to be addressed, several letters will be sent. Here is a brief overview of some of the most common notices that taxpayers could get following the filing of a tax return.


Taxpayers are informed of potential tax changes by the CP2000. A CP2000 typically appears when income reported from third-party sources, such as your employer or financial institution, differs from the amount you stated on your tax return. This can be due to an omission or a discrepancy in the numbers claimed

You should sign and send the notice if you agree with the suggested tax changes.

Indicate on the form that you disagree with some or all of the suggested modifications if you don’t, and provide supporting evidence.


Sometimes referred to as a 90-day letter, Notice CP3219A is also known as a Statutory Notice of Deficiency. If the IRS discovers that the information they received differs from what you declared on your tax return, they will issue CP3219A. Normally, before getting it, you would have first gotten a notice—like a CP2000—that outlined the problem.

Sign the note, and then send it back if you approve of the suggested revisions.

If you object to the proposed additional tax, you have two options: you can immediately reply to the Statutory Notice of Deficiency, or you can file a petition with the US Tax Court by the due date specified on the notice. You have 90 days from the date of the notice to file a petition, or 150 days if you’re out of the country.


The IRS issues Notice CP3219N after not receiving your tax return and, as a result, determined the tax payable based on the data they have at their disposal. The process is comparable to the CP3219A.


When the IRS thinks you owe money on delinquent taxes, the agency will send you a CP14. This can be as a result of you not paying your bill or, IRS still having not processed your payment even after the payment.

If you acknowledge that you failed to pay, you should settle your debt before the deadline. If you are unable to pay the entire amount at once, you can set up a payment plan.

You should get in touch with the IRS using the toll-free number provided if you don’t agree that you owe the taxes.

5071C or 6331C

The IRS will send you a 5071C or 6331C notice when you need to submit your tax return and confirm your identity.

The IRS requires further proof that you actually submitted a return if you did. Usually, the letter will instruct you to visit the Identification Verification Service page on the IRS website to confirm your identity.

If you did not file a tax return, someone else might have used your name and social security number to file a fraudulent tax return.

Typically, you have 30 days to respond via the website or phone to resolve the issue and receive your refund.

If you require assistance with the issues outlined in these forms, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Seek expert advice from our range of tax debt solutions! Check out our FAQ page for a quick summary of how to deal with tax-related issues.

jQuery(document).ready(function(){ setTimeout(function(){ console.log("footer 1.3 sec delay") jQuery('.wpcf7-text').attr("aria-label","Name text field"); jQuery('.wpcf7-tel').attr("aria-label","phone text field"); jQuery('.wpcf7-textarea').attr("aria-label","Message text field"); }, 1300); });